Image Credit: Gemma Jones
Can’t think of anything to give to a friend who’s stuck in the 70’s? Want to give your parents something they will surely enjoy and that will make them reminisce? Give them a retro t-shirt!
Retro t-shirts, sometimes used interchangeably with the term vintage t-shirts, are t-shirts that were popular in the past decades. Designs of retro t-shirts typically include a famous slogan popularized during that decade. Examples of slogans are “It’s OK, I’m with the Band”, “Make Love, Not War”, “Groovy!” and “Do Your Own Thing”, to name a few. Retro t-shirt may also be designed with logos of famous 60’s, 70’s or 80’s bands.
However, in recent years, there has been a surge in the number of vendors selling reproductions of retro t-shirts. If you want to buy a real, honest-to-goodness retro t-shirt that fits, here are some tips you should consider:
- Check if there is a photograph of the item. Search for close-ups, and inspect it carefully, taking into account pixels, colors and sizing. Also, compare the pictures with pictures of the authentic retro t-shirt.
- Consider the t-shirt material. Retro t-shirts were typically made of a blend of polyester and cotton.
- Real retro t-shirts may have been worn and washed to various degrees. When checking the size, don’t forget to factor in some shrinkage or stretching of the fabric.
- If possible, ask for the size and measurements of the t-shirt, specifically the length and the chest measurements, to make sure that it fits.
- Look for the tag or ask for the brand. Popular t-shirt brands of the past include Sportswear, Screen Stars, Ched and Touch of Gold, to name a few.
- Make sure that the vendor has a reasonable return policy.
If you follow these tips, you’ll surely find an authentic retro t-shirt in no time!